10.04.2012

Autumn, I Believe You Have Arrived!

I managed to get out a shirt Sunday and one Monday. They are some "hybrid" pieces, if you will.  I think they will go well transitioning from warm temperatures to cooler ones.  I pretty much will wear sleeveless get-ups all year round because I love layering with cardigans. So here are three tops that I have made recently.


L to R: Tie-neck peplum, Gathered bodice w/Peter Pan collar, Reverse button-down hi-low



I love each and every one of these tops, let me just say. They will probably get a WHOLE lotta use out of them this season.

The first blouse:  I had this red floral and navy dalmatian print silky fabric that I had purchased from a thrift store sometime ago.  I got about 3 yards for 99 cents.  I didn't realize I had that much until I started making this shirt.  When I laid the fabric out I knew exactly what I wanted it to be.  So I set out to make this sleeveless tie-neck peplum bad-boy.  I love the vintage print, and I think this style further adds to the beauty of this interesting silky fabric.  The interesting thing about the fabric is that although it has a silky texture, it also has some jacquard dots allover it.  That creates some fun texture to the top as a whole.  I really like the vintage/modern look of it all.  I needed more "dressy" blouses (that are also long enough to cover my plumber's crack).  This will look delightful paired with a cardi.

The second blouse:  I don't even remember where I got this fabric from; I think it may have been at an antique mall.  It's like a cotton blend voile that is amazingly airy (and see-through).  I also have yards and yards of this one as well.  I have been hoarding this puppy for ever since I can remember.  At any rate I finally pulled it out of my stash and decided to sew something up.  Well I was in the mood for peter-pan collars, and this is what I came up with.  The fabric is a nice shade of red with tiny little polka dots.  I'm not a red or polka dot fan but I'm getting there.  It has cap-sleeves and a gathered bodice in the front and back with a back zipper for easy on and off.  With the gathers the shirt actually is made like a tent top, but I think it's still very cute.

The third blouse:  I have been wanting a hi-lo blouse, and I finally got myself one.  I.love.this.shirt!!!! AH!  It is made from some rayon challis that I bought from Fashion Fabrics Club.  I didn't realize how grungy this top looked until I wore the button side in the front and belted it.  But who cares that I brought the 90s back. Every other decade has been brought back lately.
So just to let you know it is technically a reversible hi-lo top.  The original correct way to wear it would feature the higher side in the front (which will have a pocket when I add it) and the lower button-down side in the back.  However I was toying around with the shirt and put the button-down side on in front, and I loved the end result when belted.  It almost gave it a bit of a peplum look.  As soon as I can get my hands on more grungy floral rayon, I am going to whip up some of these babies.  Talk about comfy!!!
                                                





By the way the turquoise britches (he he) I have on in the pictures above are some cigarette pants that I made from some stretch twill.  I will have a post on them later.  Anyway I hope you guys have been enjoying yourselves some wonderful Autumn weather!  I know that I have.

Have you been working on anything for your fall wardrobe?  I'd love to see!

1 comment:

  1. Lani you have truly been sewing up a storm over there :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! But then again who doesn't? Go ahead and drop me a line.